Here is guidance and resources for individuals struggling with poverty to obtain general direction, identification, benefits, employment, housing, legal services, and education.
2-1-1 is a social services referral system with generalists who will look up registered agencies by location and service. Ask for the service you seek in each community you are considering. 2-1-1 also has specialists for veterans and formerly incarcerated individuals(reentry). Contact by:
You might also contact a local faith-based organization or Catholic Charities: 1450 North “D” St, San Bernardino, CA 92405; (909) 388-1239.
San Bernardino Access Center, 247 E. 7th St, San Bernardino, CA 92410, (909) 888-4800. Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri, 9:00 am – 2:30 pm. At Seccombe Lake – enter off 5th Street just west of Waterman.
Online links to shelter, food, substance abuse, veteran, and other resource directories in the San Bernardino area:
- San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health Office of Homeless Services Homeless Resources
- Fontana CAP Resource Lists
- Fontana CityLink
- Upland Emergency Food and Shelter List
- San Bernardino County Directory of Homeless Services Providers
- CA Dept of Corrections Community Partnerships Resource Directory
- CAP Commodity Distribution for web *
- Holiday Resource List *
The following lists in pdf form are based on CCLM’s inquiries of food and service providers in and around San Bernardino:
- Food Resource List
- Rent and Utilities Assistance
- Men’s Shelter List
- Women Children Youth Families Shelter List
- Mental Health
- Inpatient Facilities
- Domestic Violence
Three forms of identification are critical for applying for work, benefits, and housing (See article The Trifecta of Identification)
- CA ID or Driver’s License,
- Social Security Card, and
- Birth Certificate.
CA ID or Driver’s License
In California, a CA ID or Driver’s License is essential. If your fingerprint is currently in the system, or you have an expired CA ID, or you have another government-issued photo ID, you may be able to get your CA ID by going to the DMV. It is much easier to work with the DMV by making an appointment.
San Bernardino Office: 1310 N. Waterman Avenue, San Bernardino, 92404, (800) 777-0133
CA ID: Apply for Reduced Fee ID Card – clients of CCLM can get a Reduced Fee Waiver for the CA ID card from their case manager. Many agencies have fee waiver forms. Consult an agency familiar with the income level of the individual. Note: In 2015, a new law AB 1733 eliminates the fee for CA birth records for qualified homeless individuals as of July 1, 2015 and the fee for the CA ID for homeless individuals as of Jan 1, 2016. Notary fees may still apply if you can’t appear in person. Check with your local homeless provider.
To get your CA Drivers License:
- Review the Driver’s Handbook
- Take the tutorials and practice exams provided by the CA DMV
- Apply for your Drivers license
- Check the Status of your CA ID or Drivers License
Social Security card: Get copy of Social Security Card
605 N Arrowhead Ave., Suite 101, San Bernardino, California 92401. Phone: (800) 772-1213
Having an out of state ID, an ID without a photo, or having no ID may require you to acquire your birth certificate.
Birth Certificates: In whatever State and/or County you were born, there will be an office responsible for vital , records (birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce decrees). The office is usually called Vital Records or Recorders office.
Usually a Google search for the County name and the type of record will result in finding the application forms and procedures that you need. Note: Some agencies require a form of ID in order to request your Birth Certificate, and some require a notary public to certify your identity, which can require another form of identification.
- Apply Online for Cash, Nutrition, and Medical Benefits: C4 Yourself
- Community Resources listed at San Bernardino County Transitional Assistance Department
- Inland Empire Job Corps, 3173 Kerry Street, P O Box 9550, San Bernardino, CA 92407-9550, Phone: (909) 887-6305; Fax: (909) 473-1511
- Citadel Community Development, 937 S. Via Lata, Suite 500, Colton, CA 92324, (909) 992-0929
- San Bernardino Employment and Training Agency, 600 North Arrowhead Avenue, Suite 300, San Bernardino, CA 92401-1148, Phone: (909) 888-7881
- Goodwill Career Resource Center at 444 S Waterman. Phone: (909) 890-1415, Fax: (909) 890-1384
- Department of Rehabilitation: 371 West 3rd Street, San Bernardino, CA 92401, 1-800-480-3287.
- San Bernardino County Workforce Development Employment Resource Center: 658 E. Brier Drive, #100, San Bernardino, CA 92408, 909-382-0440.
- San Bernardino Employment Development Department, (Unemployment & State Disability) 371 West 3rd Street San Bernardino, CA 92401. (909) 799-8700
- San Bernardino Transitional Assistance Division Facebook Page: Posts Job Announcements
- Facebook Closed Group We’re Hiring: Posts Job Announcements for Inland Empire
- Indeed Online Job Search
- Monster Online Job Search
- Neuvoo Online Job Search
- California recertification requirements for forklift operator: http://www.aaaforklift.com/coupon
Looking for rentals:
- http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ apartments, rooms for rent, also vehicles, and items for house.
- Beacon Property Management Inc., 1320 Webster St., Redlands, CA 92374 (909) 792-3102
San Bernardino County (SBCO) Agencies
- SBCO Dept of Behavioral Health Emergency Shelter Progm, 237 E. Mill St., San Bernardino, CA 92408
- SBCO Dept of Behavioral Health Directory of Services
- SBCO Project Hope: Almond Allen: (909) 421-4633;
- SBCO Shelter Care Plus (requires income): Doug Fazekas, Program Coordinator, (909) 387-8619.
- SBCO Office of Homeless Services: (909) 252-4001
- SBCO Housing Authority
- Housing Authority of the Co of San Bernardino (909) 890-9533,
- Clear Water Residential Care for the Elderly & Homeless, Moreno Valley, CA (951) 924- 5732
- Foothill Family Shelter, Inc., 1501 W. Ninth St, Suite D, Upland, CA 91786, (909) 920-0453
- High Desert Homeless Services Inc. 14049 Amargosa Rd, Victorville, CA 92392 (760) 245-5001
- YMCA, (909) 623-6433. Pomona
- Cedar House, 18612 Santa Ana Ave., Bloomington, CA 92316, (909) 421-7120
- Set Free Christian Fellowship, 473 W. Baseline St., San Bernardino, CA, 92410 (909) 383-2323
- John of God Health Care Services, 13333 Palmdale Rd, Victorville, CA, 92392 (760) 241-4917
- Gibson House, 1100 N D St, San Bernardino, CA 92410, (909) 884-0840
- New Hope Village, 203 W Fredricks, Barstow, CA, 92311, (760) 256-1900
- Victor Valley Rescue Mission, 16857 C Street, Victorville, CA 92395-3220, (760) 955-5958
- Frazee Community Center Transitional Living for Veterans, (LOTS of Veteran LINKS on this web page!) 1140 W. Mill Street, San Bernardino, CA 92410, (909) 889-4424
- Turrill Transitional Asst Prgm, Inc., 2130 N. Arrowhead Ave Suite 206 H, San Bernardino CA 92405, (909) 475-8600
- U.S. Vets Inland Empire, 15105 6th St, March ARB, CA 92518, 951-269-1119
- Veterans Admin Loma Linda Homeless Prgm Office 2B-134, 800-741-8387 Ext. 6085, 11201 Benton St, Loma Linda, CA 92357, (909) 825-7084
- Vision of Hope (909-386-1620)
- Call 2-1-1 and ask to speak to a veteran specialist.
- Inland Empire Veterans Stand Down Resource List
- Veteran’s Administration: For Homeless Veterans
- Replacing Records for Homeless Veterans
- Employment Guides and Resources for Veterans
- National Council for Aging Care’s guide on Military Veteran Benefit Options
- San Bernardino Adult School: GED and short vocational courses.
- The Rock Church World Outreach Center: GED test preparation
- San Bernardino Valley College Admissions
- Inland County Legal Services: 715 N Arrowhead Ave. San Bernardino, CA, (909) 884-8615
- Legal Aid: 588 W 6th St, San Bernardino, CA, (909) 889-7328
- Libreria del Pueblo, Inc. 251 Carousel Mall, PO Box 7366 San Bernardino, CA 92411 (909) 888-1800
- Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (CHIRLA), 2533 W. Third Street, Suite 101, Los Angeles, CA 90057 (213) 353-1333
- Obtaining Critical Documents for Reentry
- Probationers: Significant assistance & resources are available through the San Bernardino County Probation Day Reporting Center: 524 N Mountain View Ave, San Bernardino, CA, 92415 (909) 889-0909
- Call 2-1-1 and speak to a re-entry specialist.